Skip to main content

CHALLEGING TIMES

Lord Jesus I come to You because when I look at the hard times that we are facing – my heart seems to fail as I don’t know which way to turn – except to You. Thank You that You have always been there for me and thank You
for the promises that you will always be there for me._

_Keep me from fear of what tomorrow may bring, knowing that I do not need to be afraid or fearful, because You have promised to supply all my needs according to Your riches in mercy._

_Thank You for this lovely truth and for the many promises that You have given to all Your children. May my heart rest in You Lord and keep me from fear in these difficult times, in Jesus name I pray,_

_Amen_



We are all going through difficult times at the moment. Our life situation has very quickly and dramatically changed. People are getting sick, many people around the world have died. The virus has swept the planet. It is easy at times like this, to get afraid, start worrying, even become angry.

Angry at people around us, angry at politicians, leaders, yes, even angry at God.

Some become depressed, some get fearful, or wonder if God loves you.
These are all normal emotions. But pause for a while.

Ask God to help you draw close to him and to put your trust in him.

In situations like this, it is very easy for us as humans to run around, trying to fix everything.
We are trying to fix and solve the problem at our workplaces, at our schools, universities, at our churches.


Psalm 13 gives us a pattern we can follow. In this short psalm, David describes the agony he is experiencing, asks for God’s help, proclaims his trust in God’s love, and then praises God.

_For the director of music. A psalm of David. How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me? Look on me and answer, O LORD my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death; my enemy will say, “I have overcome him,” and my foes will rejoice when I fall. But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing to the LORD, for he has been good to me. (Psalm 13)_


It is difficult to follow David’s example, I do understand that.
Especially, if a family member dies or if you are going through a personal crisis, you may experience deep sorrow or grief. But remember the Bible’s promise:

_God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. (Psalm 46:1)_

Remember that God is with you

God is with you, He is Immanuel, God with us.

I agree with Pastor Tom Benigas as he briefly mentioned in a short message on what he is going through at the moment and how reading from the psalms has kept him up.

Take some time each day and read through the Psalms.


_The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.
(Psalm 9:9)_

_Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the LORD. (Psalm 31:24)_

_For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe. (Psalm 61:3)_

_Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens. Selah (Psalm 68:19)_

_So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)_

There are things we can do in this situation:

* Pray for God's healing
* Ask God to intervene
* Pray for God’s peace and guidance
* Ask for wisdom about what to say or do.
* Meditate on key passages in the Bible

In this difficult time, turn to God’s word.

_Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written: “For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:35-39)_


Find help from our brothers and sisters in Christ

When you go through difficult times, ask your brothers and sisters for prayer and advice.

_As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. (Proverbs 27:17)_

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Debate

A year ago I saw a debate on tv between one Christian British mathematician and philosopher of science named John Lennox and an evolutionary biologist named Richard Dawkins. The two seams to know each other very well and even if they sometimes really disagree on God's existanse they seem to have a rather good relationship. It is a bit pointless to have these debate since none of them want to change their oppinion no matter how wrong or right they might be. As a follower of Christ I support Mr Lennox but I have respects towards mr Dawkins. What stroke me the other day when my wife and I were at the bookstore was the many books written by Richard Dawkins where he really tries hard to convince us that there is no God. If you are absolutely confident that there is no God, why on earth do you have to write all these books!? If people don't believe there is God, why go so hard? You don't believe in Him yet you hate Him. Psalm 14:1 The fool says in his heart, “There

Forgiven

Saul who later on changed his name to Paul was once a dangerous enemy to Christians. He did almost everything to hunt them down. Saul was a cruel man, responsible for the stoning of Stephen. In my view and in many others he deserved to be treated the same way, he deserved to die. But God had another plan for his life. God wanted him to serve as an example of grace (1 Timothy 1:13-16). Jesus reached out to Saul in a direct and startling way (Acts 9, 22, 26). Saul came to realise that the Gospel was true. He recognised the seriousness of his crimes against God On the road to Damascus Jesus revealed himself to Saul who was stunned and afraid but he did what Jesus told him to do. Blind for three days he waited. Imagine how terrified he must have been not be able to see. Not to be able to really understand what was going on. Once so feared but now so vulnerable A man named Ananias was sent by Jesus to lay hands on Saul and when he did so Saul did three specific things that

Task oriented!

I read a small article by Pastor John Ortberg from Menlo Park Presbyterian Church in California. He said that: "If you are a Pastor or a Church leader you have a calling far more important than you may know". Lots of Pastors or leaders are very "task" orientated. "The great danger in ministry is that we think about the task before us in ways that are too small!" Make budget, trying to fill up the church hall every Sunday, launching nice programs, Working hard to make the church and its vision so easy to understand and handle. We have a task all of us. Jesus said: " Go out in the entire world, go and make disciples. "Teach them to obey everything I have commanded you" Lets go out there....